WATER KEFIR RECIPES
ga('create', 'UA-85088576-1', 'auto');
Dehydrated (Dried) Water Kefir Grains 10 grams
To rehydrate dry Water Kefir Grains:
In a glass jar put:
1 cup of plain spring/ mineral water
10 grams (1 Tablespoon) dry Water Kefir Grains
Cover jar with cloth
Leave to plump up for 24 hours
Strain in fine mesh strainer
Feed with the basic water kefir sugar / water recipe after grains are plumped up.
Dehydrated Water Kefir Grains are grains that have become dormant after being dried. Dried grains can take several batches before becoming fully active and able to grow (it is considered drinkable after a couple or so batches though).
These are hardy, freshly-dehydrated and ready to produce once fully rehydrated! Keep in mind that these grains can thrive in any desired sugar and will change colour based on the sugar used. Note: Honey is not recommended due to its antibiotic properties which have a negative effect on the grains.
Basic sugar / water recipe
Clean glass jar
2 cups Spring / mineral water
¼ teaspoon of black strap molasses
1 rounded Tablespoon raw sugar
1 slice of unwaxed lemon – (don’t squeeze)
Pinch of bi-carb soda
2 Tablespoons Water Kefir crystals (use all the contents of the container you receive)
- Cover opening with cloth & rubberband.
- Culture for 24 hours to max of 72 hours in a warm environment (small bubbles will form on the top of the water), smells like lemonade with a slight sour smell.
- Strain off liquid using fine mesh nylon strainer and retain kefir crystals.
- Chill strained kefir in fridge and enjoy!
- Wash kefir crystals and start the culture process off again (it is likely that the crystals will multiply after cultures so please adjust recipe accordingly).